Saturday, March 20, 2010

Black-crowned Night Heron, Penang.

On Friday, I received a message in my blog regarding the sighting of the Malayan Night Heron in USM. I was excited and wish that I could see the "Malaysian" Night Heron in Malaysia for the first time. I went to search the bird on Saturday afternoon, but disappointedly, I couldn't find the bird.

Why the Malayan Night Heron is hard to spot in Malaysia? whereas, it is very common in Taiwan. Check out my blog about Taiwan's Malayan Night Heron and a juvenile spotted in Singapore Botanic Gardens.

However, I spotted a pair of adult and a juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax) in USM, they are the most common Night Heron in East Asia. Let's take a look of the Black-crowned Night Heron that I spotted:

A beautiful adult with the bluish lore, matured bird:
Immature with the yellowish lore:
Let's take a closer look of their crown, three white extended feathers from the crown. It is a beautiful hair style, isn't it?:
A juvenile with different plumage, brown with white streaks:

These are the Black-crowned Night Herons I spotted in Taiwan in 2009. In Taiwan, the bird is the most common Night Heron and it is called as Heiguan Yelu 黑冠夜鹭.

An adult in Taiwan, with yellowish lore:
A juvenile in Taiwan:

Hope that the readers will gain some knowledge on the identification of the Black-crowned Night Heron through the pictures on this blog. Last but not least, here are the beauties of the day, a Stork-billed Kingfisher and a Common Kingfisher:
I noticed that this is the reaction of the Common Kingfisher when the raptor flew above it.
danger! raptor! hide... visit again my blog again for the next posting.

Happy Birding and Digiscoping.


No comments:

Post a Comment